Hi Joshua.

> Thanks!  I commited your patch with the sole change that I removed the
> meta-content-type header, which is just bad news in my opinion.

I'm a little bit unsure about the meta-content-type header: the XHTML 1.0
specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/) recommends to use both methods
to define the content-type on existing/older user agents.

an extract of REC-xhtml1-20000126 follows:

======= Snip ========

Appendix C. HTML Compatibility Guidelines

This appendix is informative.

This appendix summarizes design guidelines for authors who wish their XHTML
documents to render on existing HTML user agents

C.9 Character Encoding

To specify a character encoding in the document, use both the encoding
attribute specification on the xml declaration (e.g. <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="EUC-JP"?>) and a meta http-equiv statement (e.g. <meta
http-equiv="Content-type" content='text/html; charset="EUC-JP"' />). The
value of the encoding attribute of the xml processing instruction takes
precedence.

Maybe we should put the meta-header in again ?

> By the way, a repost on the docs list would have been just as effective.

whuups, thanks...I was unsure were to put this topic; sorry for that :-)

regards,
erik