"James Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> no! no! leave apachectl to behave as it always has done. could someone
> consider vetoing this argument based on backwards compatibility?

I fear that you misunderstand what this vote is about.  It is a given
that apachectl will be able to act like an init script until the end
of life as we know it.

Forever: apachectl accepts init script arguments start/stop/restart/whatever.

At the present: apachectl accepts any httpd argument (e.g., apachectl
-V) in addition to classic apachectl arguments.

The vote is regarding a particular way to have apachectl just be an
init script (like it was until a short while ago) but still make
available a shell script wrapper (called httpd.sh) which sets up
required environment variables for apache 2.0.

(Background: On some platforms and/or build flavors, apache 2.0 will
not operate properly without picking up the environment variables in
the envvars file.  That is what the fuss is all about and why
apachectl picked up the new ability to pass through arbitrary parms to
httpd.)

If instead I have misunderstood you, please be explicit about which
behavior you do not want to change.

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff
--