Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> If, for example, we have to mutex an entire database library and every
> request needs to make an sql query, then effectively we are down to
> serializing the requests and only handling one at a time.  And yes, it
> goes without saying that it is better to use libraries that don't need to
> be locked.  I don't think he was asking for the best-case scenario when he
> asked that question.

I think an analogy would be our accept() mutex... even though we serialize
that, we still handle more than one request "at a time" since the time
spent in that mutex is just a portion of the whole request transaction
itself (which is what Brian was driving at). So we either use the libs
that don't need to be locked, as you say, or use prefork.
   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/