On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 06:53:54AM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> jerenkrantz    2002/08/15 23:53:54
>
>   Modified:    docs/manual/developer thread_safety.html
>   Log:
>   Add note on c-client based on evidence from c-client mailing list archives
>   and, in particular, Mark Crispin's posts.

This is a particularly interesting case as Mark is pretty adamant
that strtok() and gethostbyname() should be thread-safe and the fact
that it isn't on most platforms doesn't persuade him to use
strtok_r() or gethostbyname_r() if available.  (Not that I disagree
with him here - these *should* be thread-safe calls.)

Regardless, someone brought up this exact question on the c-client
list a few days ago in direct question to httpd-2.0, PHP, and
c-client.  The response (albeit not from Mark) was that c-client is
thread-safe.

However, nothing in the current c-client code base shows usage of a
thread-safe strtok() or gethostbyname(), so I believe that post to
c-client list is in error and Mark's earlier comments in his posts
still stand - that is, c-client itself is thread-safe, but its C
library usage is almost certainly not thread-safe.  -- justin