At 12:24 PM 9/10/2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:57:08AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I agree with Bill.  Please revert this commit.  The problem is that
>
>And, I think there is power in giving the user the choice to have
>correct MD5 hashes produced.  Not every use of htpasswd is going to
>be fed into apr_password_validate().

You missed the point, anything that htpasswd or htdigest produce
must be parsable by mod_auth or mod_auth_digest, respectively.

-1 on this patch [veto], please back out your commit.

Now then... Mladen Turk offered several patches that would roll up
htpasswd and htdigest behavior (along with htdbm) into a single utility.
If you want a tool that creates different sorts of passwords using different
storage mechanisms, perhaps its time to review that submission.

It would be trivial to offer some .sh (.bat) scripts that replace the existing
htpasswd, htdigest and htdbm utilities, providing the -right- flags to this
new, single rollup utility based on the expected args of the old tools.

Bill