The WWW-Authenticate header is being dropped from responses sent by
mod_proxy in reverse proxy mode, when the original server's response
was chunked.

The problem appears to be in ap_http_header_filter() in
modules/http/http_protocol.c, where we have:

    if (r->status == HTTP_NOT_MODIFIED) {
        apr_table_do((int (*)(void *, const char *, const char *))
form_header_field,
                     (void *) &h, r->headers_out,
                     "Connection",
                     "Keep-Alive",
                     "ETag",
                     "Content-Location",
                     "Expires",
                     "Cache-Control",
                     "Vary",
                     "Warning",
                     "WWW-Authenticate",
                     "Proxy-Authenticate",
                     NULL);
    }
    else {
        apr_table_do((int (*) (void *, const char *, const char *))
form_header_field,
                     (void *) &h, r->headers_out, NULL);
    }

I would think that in the else case at least the WWW-Authenticate
header should be handled.  Are there other headers that should also be
handled here?