On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:48:53AM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> I could not agree more.
>
> The original patch used 'time' - but that is expensive to calculate. If
> you make a histogram of conseq EINTR over a few weeks you find that
> sequences longer than 5-10 are very rare on a healthy machine. But once
> something runs out of control (say a PHP/sql connector) it shoots in the
> hundreds and thousands for just a single process quickly.
>
> Suggestions for a better metric (Short of making it self learning ;-).

But, that's heavily dependent on the OS.  Solaris has a tendancy to
have much higher EINTR occurances than other OSes.  So, I'd prefer
to let the OS tell us when something has gone afoul rather than
trying to second-guess it when the error only means "You were
interrupted - try again."  So, I don't think there is a metric
that can work (without fail) for this case.  -- justin