Quoting David Burry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> However, in testing I clearly see it's logging the number of bytes
> _requested_ (that is, that apache intended to send)!!! not the actual bytes
> _sent_!!!  If a user presses the cancel button on their browser or they're
> cut off in the middle, this number is not accurate at all, because it appears
> the entire file was sent when it was not.

Have you tried using mod_logio? If won't only give you the "body" bytes, but
also the "headers" bytes. It reports the number of input bytes too and should
understand encryption and compression. You can either check it out from Apache
CVS (HEAD), or download the patch for 2.0.43 here:
http://www.rexursive.com/software.html.

You'd use it with %I (for input) and %O (for output). It would be interesting to
know if it reports accurately in the case you described...

Bojan