Funny enough, there is a variable called unused_bytes_sent in that
function - kind of makes it obvious it's not being used ;-)

I thought that making f->r non-NULL was rejected due to complications
with other protocols that don't understand requests? Anyway, we don't
really need to store anything in request, we just need to retrieve from
connection, log it and then reset the counters.

Instead of introducing more fields to conn_rec (to prevent another MMN
bump), why don't we use the same thing you suggested for mod_logio,
which is putting the counting structure of core_output_filter into
f->c->conn_config? This structure would not be a mod_logio option, but
rather always there. mod_logio would then just use it to log. Or, even
better, all the logging would be done through mod_log_config, which
would make mod_logio redundant. By the same token, the input counting
could also go into core_input_filter...

Bojan