"William A. Rowe, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> At 10:35 PM 10/12/2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >On 13 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> wrowe       2002/10/12 20:25:04
> >>
> >>   Modified:    server   log.c
> >>   Log:
> >>     Some errors are impossible to fathom, without the user knowing certain
> >>     base numbers.  This patch introduces "(EAP ##): Eap message" for the EAP
> >>     errors, "(OS ##): Message" for modestly numbered os errors (under 100000)
> >>     and hex "(OS 0x########): Message" for huge errors, which generally have
> >>     bit-flag meanings and are usually represented in hex.
> >
> >What in the world is an EAP error?  Rather than do this, I would much
> >rather have the OS errors normalized, and all other erros retain their
> >original values.
>
> EAI (not EAP, sorry) are gethostname API specific errors.  The point is,
> we could lookup the (EAI 12): error from the platform's netdb.h and know
> what it is, trying to grok (75012) is goofy.  But since I'm not terribly
> affected by this, feel free to drop the EAI bit if you object strongly.
>
> Jeff is most likely to have an opinion on EAI specifically.

for me, needing to know the exact EAI constant after seeing a text
error description is not so important relative to the need to know the
errno constant after seeing a text error description

but wouldn't it be troubling if the EAI codes are not described as
such but the other codes are?

--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Born in Roswell... married an alien...