On Mon, Oct 21, 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > That limitation should already exist, although it may not.
> >
> > That limitation doesn't exist either in the documentation or in the
> > implementation.
> >
> > I figured that was part of the point of connection passing. I know it's
> > also useful for passing between the siblings for a particular uid/gid
> > also, but why not just require 1 child per uid/gid and then not worry
> > about connection passing at all?
>
> A couple of reasons.  Remember first of all that the more threads per
> process, the less stable your server.  This is because if a module
> seg-faults, the whole process dies.  For that reason, many admins will
> want to have multiple child processes with the same uid/gid to create some
> failover.
>
> The second reason, however, is that the file descriptor passing is meant
> to solve the case of multiple Name-based Vhosts on the same ip:port all
> with different uid/gid requirements.  In that case, you will have multiple
> child processes all listening to the same ip:port, but you will need to do
> the file descriptor passing.

Well, that's what I said before, but you implied that the limitations
should prevent this. :)

> Closing the file descriptors of ip:port combinations that can't be served
> is a great optimization, but that is all it is, an optimization for the
> non-Name-based vhost case.

Yes.

This brings it back to what I was saying before, you can't pass SSL
connections, so as a result, you can't share an SSL port across two
uid/gid's. So this should be documented somewhere, or enforced in the
server (which may be difficult because of the layering), so people don't
do that :)

Anyway, I think I understand the path to follow now. I'm going to
implement the necessary fixes to make perchild finally usable.

JE