--On Sunday, October 27, 2002 9:39 AM -0800 Justin Erenkrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm trying to write it up now.  I'm also cleaning up closer.cgi
while I'm at it.  -- justin
Well, that took *way* longer than I wanted to. Anyway, a rough sketch of what I'm thinking of is here:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/mirrors/httpd.cgi

And, to prove that this new system isn't any worse than the old one:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/mirrors/list.cgi

This is a python-based CGI script that uses Greg Stein's EZT library (much kudos to Greg for this awesome tool). It allows for the separation of the layout from the mirroring data. Therefore, it makes it really easy to do the above with only one CGI script (httpd.cgi and list.cgi are symlinked to the same file) that has multiple 'views' and templates.

We would probably have to work a bit on the layout and flesh it out some, but this is the idea that I had.

Source at:

http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/mirrors.tar.gz

If I could run CGI scripts from my home dir, I wouldn't have stuck this in www.apache.org's docroot, but CGI scripts are not allowed from user directories. ISTR mentioning this before and getting no response from Greg or Jeff. -- justin