Jeff Trawick wrote:
Randall Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The idea behind this is that SCTP is automatically enabled if
available... i.e. there is no flag to turn it on/off.. if you say
listen 80
and have sctp.. you get a listener on both TCP and SCTP port 80.

Now the reason I picked this method is:

a) A port/socket listening is a small amount of overhead...

unfortunately, it can be meaningful overhead, enough so that IMHO it
isn't reasonable to enable SCTP automatically

when Apache has more than one listening socket, it is forced to poll()
in addition to accept(), and the use of poll() prior to accept() means
it has to serialize all threads/processes such that only one is in
poll() at a time
hmmm so what I think you are saying is that if only one
port is listened to all children can do a poll() on the sd otherwise
you must have only one thread to the poll() I guess so it could
dispatch out the work...

on most current OSs, this serialization is not necessary when there is
only one listening socket

Do you suggest then a

Listen, tcp:80
Listen, sctp:80

type syntax... or what would be the format wanted in the config...

I will find some cycles soon and dig into the config but I would like
a pointer to what would be the right choice...

--
Randall R. Stewart
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)