Interesting comments, thanks.  You obviously speak from experience.

The idea I was having is that no matter how overloaded a machine becomes, it should
never run so far out of resources that it dies, but there should be some kind of limit
in place... I thought this was what MaxClients was for, however it varies too greatly
what the optimum value is depending on what's getting hit so I don't know what to do
about it...

Your idea of a reverse proxy in front (or module) turning away or redirecting some
requests in a very light fashion deserves merit...  I know that Excite.com used to
have a very light static home page they'd slap up during peak loads for this very
reason, I'll investigate something like that for the solution to my problem instead of
what I originally suggested, thanks.

Dave