binbuild.sh seems to prefer gtar to tar for archiving. This doesn't actually happen on Mac OS X because on Darwin, it's 'gnutar', not 'gtar'.

This is trivial to fix, except that I'd rather not use GNU tar if I don't have to. The reason being that GNU tar generates non-POSIX-compliant tar archives, which when unpacked with POSIX tar potentially gives you a bogus @LongLink directory. I'd rather use a POSIX tar program which both POSIX tar and GNU tar can unpack properly. The only drawback there is if we have really long path names, POSIX tar craps out where GNU tar doesn't. I don't think we have really long path names, though.

So does anyone object if I un-favor GNU tar?

Looks like the real reason we favor it is to use the -z option instead of having to run gzip after the fact. Running gzip in a pipe chain would do as well, though.

-wsv