At 6:31 PM -0800 2/4/03, Greg Stein wrote:

>Some questions for thought: if we start banging out versions right and left,
>then will people actually upgrade? Are we doomed to live with 1.3 forever?
>Or do we have to stick with today's architecture to support binary
>compatibility for N years?

Very nice. I think you hit the nail on the head. For many people,
1.3 is "good enough" and "has been working just fine" so why migrate?
I think that the perception that 2.0 "hasn't been ready for Prime
Time" is slowly changing, however. First of all, we've been good in
stabilizing the 2.0 API. Crucial for module developers. Secondly,
we see that result in more modules for 2.0.

The lack of PHP for 2.0 is also a problem, as you note. It's funny,
however, when the feelings in the PHP community indicate it's
because 2.0 is flawed/broken. When some of the prime PHP developers,
who also happen to be ASF members, say that 2.0 is stupid, and there's
no reason for anyway to possibly want to go from 1.3 to 2.0 so we're
not going to bother with 2.0-related stuff, it's a major handicap.
2.0 is not "just" different MPMs, as people imply when they say
"they have to stay with prefork for PHP, so why bother going with
2.0. Now once perchild makes it....".

Also, I think it's harder for new developers, or those who only
know 1.3, to pick up 2.0 over 1.3. There's a lot of stuff in there
that people need to wrap their brains around before they can play
and have fun. Still, the effort is worth it.

Basically, I see 1.3.x as almost maintenance mode only. Security and
bug fixes. The fact is that the future *is* 2.0. 1.3 has done
exceptionally well, better than we could have hoped. No, 1.3
isn't "broken" really, but 2.0 is better and it's where all the new,
interesting and fun stuff is happening.
   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/