At 06:54 PM 3/16/2003, Dave wrote:

>When are we going to start seeing httpd 2.1.x releases? httpd 2.0.x releases were
>coming out about two years before a GA release. What is the plan for 2.1.x
>functionality?

We will have no 2.1.x-gold releases, the 2.1-dev tree is (by definition) -beta.
So we should get busting on a 2.1.0-beta pretty soon here :-)  But don't
look for it before we've let 2.0.45 fly this week, and get a few days feedback
about any possible regressions (none, we hope!)  :-)

We should still follow the -alpha then -beta convention, where we first
identify the release as -alpha just to check that the packaging and such
are goodness before the majority of the community grabs the package.

>Just interested! I would like to use mod_dav_lock.

Cool!  We need early adopters :-)  We hope that most module authors
will begin working with the 2.1-dev tree long before 2.1 is released, especially
requesting changes that we can't make to 2.0 without breaking compatibility,
but that would greatly simplify, speed up or otherwise improve their modules.

It will be strongly 'supported' - in the sense that we want to lick bugs.  But it
will be a moving target - we *want* to break the API in any way that will
benefit the httpd 2.2 server once it is released.  Really, 2.2.0-gold will be
the first 'release' of the 2.1-dev efforts.

One, we expect the changes will be much less substantial than 1.3->2.0 were.
And 2.1-dev isn't and 2.2 won't be binary compatible with 2.0 modules.  But
if we've accomplished our goals, all 2.2 releases will be binary compatible
with one another (at least forward compatible, e.g. 2.2.3 module that uses a
brand new feature should work with 2.2.3 or later, and a module authored to
the 2.2.0 API should be compatible with all 2.2 releases.)

Bill