Marc M. Adkins wrote:
The ap_hook_handler() call
does not specify the handler key from the corresponding AddHandler
configuration directive. As a consequence, the specified handler function
must look at and accept or decline each request.

yes, you are right. IMO that sucks, for a number of reasons:

* the Apache 1.3 core was better about it and only called handlers when the request type matched a type the handler was interested in,

* we had to change the module API to accomodate this regression in the core, and

* now we have a distributed performance hit in 2.x, because the core is calling all these modules who don't care about the request which makes the CPU fetch crap instructions into the i-cache. This won't show up as a hot spot in a profiler, because it is spread among all the different handlers and other code which is now taking more frequent i-cache misses.

...but I'll shut up because I don't have a patch or a design for one yet.

By contrast, output filters only see requests in which they have interest.

Clearly a better situation.

Greg