Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:17:56 -0700
From: Jeff Klagenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Apache Code Inspection Report

Hello,

Recently Reasoning ran our inspection service on of the Apache httpd 2.1 for Linux
code base (a version checked out on 1/31/03).  We did find a number of defects that
should be brought to the team's attention, the reports generated are attached.  The
total number of defects discovered was 31, the majority being Null Pointer
Dereferences (NPDs) and a couple Unitialized Variable.  Some of these NPDs occurred
during an out of memory condition, most of our clients choose to have these identified
to provide a more graceful / informative exit.

The attachments are:
*       metrics-linux-apache-public.pdf    A report showing the distribution of
defects within the application.  Customer's have found that files / classes with a
higher density of defects our service detects have a higher risk of other defects as
well.

*       defect-linux-apache-public.pdf     A report detailing each defect found in the
source code, including the conditions under which the defect becomes an issue.

We do hope you find the reports as useful as our clients do.  I am curious to receive
any feedback on how useful you feel these are.  Please contact me if you have any
questions or comments.

Best Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Klagenberg
Director, Product Management
Reasoning Incorporated
+1 650 316 4374 office
+1 650 316 4430 fax
+1 650 430 3677 mobile
http://www.reasoning.com

 <<metrics-linux-apache-public.pdf>>  <<defect-linux-apache-public.pdf>>