Bill Marrs wrote:
Ian,
I'm cross posting this to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had been a user of Apache 1.3 and mod_gzip, but I recently upgraded to Apache 2.0 and I'm trying to use mod_deflate.

I got it working fairly well, but it's causing high load and page timeouts during peak periods of operation for my site.

The output I'm compressing is generated from mod_perl scripts.

mod_gzip had not had this problem. It's possible that there are other factors (the whole system was upgraded), so I can't absolutely blame mod_deflate, but removing it certainly fixes the load problem.

sounds like a cpu load issue.

I've been dropping the DeflateCompressionLevel, which seems to help, but I'm already down to 2 and I'm still getting timeouts.

I find that surprising.. the reason I do is when I put it on one of our production machines we saw a 10% in cpu load, but no timeouts (we used the hard-coded value of '1' then)

what do you mean by 'timeouts'.

Is there any other way I can improve the efficiency of it?

first.. I would examine the cpu utilization/throughput of your box.
maybe even reverting to 1.3.x/mod_gzip for a period and see if that works for you.

Would changing DeflateBufferSize from 8096 to something else, help?

Are there any plans to improve the efficiency of mod_deflate in the future?
not directly.. most of the time spent is in zlib's library, and the standard filter routines that apache uses.

I'm running Apache/2.0.46 (prefork MPM) and mod_perl-1.99_09 on Red Hat 9. Server has dual 800Mhz CPUs and 1.5GB ram.

may I suggest you move to the worker MPM, I'm thinking you don't have enough ram in your machine for a pre-fork/mod-perl combo.
we run with 32 threads, and it seems ok most of the time.
just be careful of your 3rd party perl modules.. some may not be threadsafe.
([EMAIL PROTECTED] would be the appropiate place to ask about that)

Thanks

-bill

regards
ian