Joe Schaefer wrote:

Another approach would be to do nothing.

don't tell me people have been reading the "wheel of httpd-ev..." thread :)

I'd be happy to
prepare a patch if this approach - to do nothing - is unacceptable. Of course, suggestions to make the patch
as robust as possible would be enthusiastically welcomed.

I don't see how allowing an arbitrary number of blanks could possibly hurt. Show us a tested patch. There will be a mad rush to see which committer will jump on it first. Okay, perhaps this is not the most realistic expectation ;)