Hi,

Since this question pertains to the implementation
of ETags in the httpd source code (core.c?), I
think this question is appropriate for the developer
list.  I hope you agree.  :)

I'm using apache and subversion (mod_dav_svn) as
the filesystem provider.  Apache won't generate
weak ETags (Size & MTime) from the subversion
filesystem provider.  The same config works fine
when I take subversion out and use the regular
filesystem.  I've also tried generating weak ETags
from a Catacomb repository (mod_dav_repos) to no avail.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is an Apache
limitation (I suspect it is), or a limitation of the
alternate providers.

What I want to know is: Is the ETag implementation
tied directly to the filesystem?  Or, is it abstract
and therefore should/could theoretically support
alternate filesystem providers?

So far, the subversion and catacomb developers have
been silent on this question.  I'm hoping someone
on this list can help.

Thanks for any help, pointers, etc.

--EJ