I've been thinking the same thing driving around this evening...

One major goal of httpd-3.0 is *finally* arriving at something that starts
looking async.  We've kicked it around some time, but perhaps it's time
to start looking at the async poll implementation, to get some idea of how
we can 'poll' on multiple sorts of events.

The one thing that is clear to me, pre-1.0:  win32 needs to be able to poll
pipes and sockets, *even* if it means a really lame 100ms timeout (perhaps
configurable) on the socket poll to look sideways at the pipe info.  There is
no way to solve any of these problems without clearing that first hurdle.

But you brought up a great point - what about some notification signals?
How do we extend 'poll'.  It sure looks like we need something more clever
than a wrapper around posix poll/select.

Bill