On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:17:07AM -0800, Andrew Ho wrote:
> I don't see how this would work--a graceful stop followed by a start would
> mean clients would drop in between the window when you signal the graceful
> stop (and Apache therefore stops accepting new requests) and when the new
> instance starts.

The idea behind a graceful restart is that it won't destroy current
requests, it already adds a delay to serving new requets during the
restart - and frequently drops them (depending on your queue size).

With a graceful stop, and then a start, the outage can be pretty
minimal. Ideally you would have the process issuing the signal to be the
new instance of httpd, so it wait until it's exactly ready to listen()
before calling kill(). I'd wager you'd drop less new connections this
way than the current one, and in any case I think the benifits
of upgradability are much more worth it.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]