I am still confused as to what this all means.  What do you all mean
by "Platform".  I keep reading these email messages and it sounds like
"Platform" == "Linux".  NetWare doesn't use buildconf but yet we still
have to generate the files.  We also don't build directly on the NetWare
platform, we build on Windows and then copy to the the NLMs to NetWare.
When we generate the files, we have to first build the utility, copy it
to NetWare, run it and then copy the results back to windows and
continue with the build.  With the way that it was done before python,
even though it was a pain, we could still build the utility and run it
on NetWare.  Python doesn't run on NetWare so we have no hope of ever
running the script to generate the file.  Our only option is to check
the file into CVS and go through more pain trying to manually keep the
file in sync.   Are you going to keep gen_uri_delims.c in sync with
gen-uri-delims.py so those of us that can't run python can still build?
A shell script isn't possible either, since NetWare also doesn't have a
shell.  Our options are C, Perl or PHP.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 06:12:07PM +0100, Sander Striker wrote:
> [...]

We don't put generated files in source control. We simply specify the
toolchain that CVS developers need to have. That has always been a bit
higher than tarball developers/users need to have.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/