That definitely sounds useful.  I think you can get the same effect,
though, by using the existing 2.0/2.1 mod_include hook to add new
directives... something like this:
    <!--#set_random var="blah" min="$min" max="$max" -->

That's not quite as syntactically elegant, but it has the advantage
of not requiring any new parsing code.  What do you think?

Brian