Neil Gunton wrote:

The problem now is that the browsers (IE and Mozilla at least) don't
seem to differentiate requests based on cookies. I have tested
requesting a page with a certain cookie (where the page has a sufficient
expiration to warrant being cached for the duration of the test), and
then changing the cookie, and re-requesting the same page as before. The
cookie is different, but the browsers still seem to use their local
cached copy of the page. So, I am currently thinking that the solution
to this is to use a combination of cookies and URL parameters to make
the requests look different.

Rather just use URL parameters. As I recall RFC2616 does not consider a request with a different cookie a different variant, so even if you patch your server to allow it to differentiate between cookies, neither the browsers nor the transparent proxies in the path of the request will do what you want them to do :(

Regards,
Graham