Hi Mark,

Thanks for your observations.

On May 4, 2004, at 7:18 PM, mark wrote:

Your attach logic should work, however it raises privilege issues because the children run as a different user (nobody or www, etc) the than the process running the create (root). I had problems when I was doing it that way, worked

I have to admit I hadn't tested as root, and it does exhibit permission problems on linux and darwin as well. Omitting the attach solves that problem, and I also got reacquainted with unixd_set_global_mutex_perms(). So, both of those are working now.

2)
Dettach is never needed. However, depending on desired results, it is usually desireable to perform a destroy when a HUP signal is sent, so that it gets created fresh by post_config

I've run into the strange errors under high load where newly forked children startup thinking they are attached to the inherited shm seg, but are in fact attached to some anonymous new segment. No error is produced, but obviously it's a catastrophic situation.

Yeah, that would be Bad. However, how does one hook into the SIGHUP handler? AFAIK, httpd has its own signal handlers that do stuff like restarts and graceful, and if I registered another handler, I would overrule the one that httpd sets. Or is there a provision for a chain of signal handlers?

I put the new version at <http://apache.org/~sctemme/mod_example_ipc.c> to save on e-mail bandwidth.

Thanks again,

S.

--