Julian Reschke wrote:

> FYI: I recently had a long exchange with Microsoft's support regarding
> the Vary header, and the outcome was that they have at least
> *documented* their RFC2616 compliance issue:
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824847>

It seconds what Kevin wrote, that MSIE recognizes ONLY user-agent in
the VARY field, and contrary to the other opinion that accept-encoding
is supported too.

Now I want to suggest something:

Kevin has a brilliant trick, that resolves the most annoying problem of
caching proxies today. This trick is a great thing for many people.

However, it will take him hours to re-create it:

> If I have some time... I'll try to find those notes and the
> test code I know I had somewhere that WORKED.

Unfortunately, yesterday he wasted hours just because of questions in
the list. In response to these questions, he had to write several e-
mails, each of them tens of KiloBytes. Most of these e-mails discussed
the question what should be done as an alternative for that trick. Of
course, it was better to find that trick and save the whole needless
discussions.

So let's be less bothering to him today; Maybe this will give him the
needed time to find this trick. I believe that many of us need it.

Thanks,
--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]