>After speaking many times about this problem on #apache-modules, Paul
>Querna said that it would be better to port mod_auth_ldap to
>mod_authn_ldap, and do module caching auth, for all authentication
>method. I am sure this way is really better and i agree with him. I
know
>he started this cache module, maybe it could be good to continue this

>effort and on another hand, port mod_auth_ldap to 2.1.

I agree that a generic caching module would be of benefit here even
before we port mod_auth_ldap to the 2.1 auth structure.  Either way, I
also think there is a lot of work to do on the caching code.  I am sure
that we can take advantage of what has been done in mod_ssl and other
places that have to mutex protect shared memory.  It is actually working
great on NetWare at the moment but then we don't use shared memory and
we are multi-threaded only.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Friday, June 11, 2004 4:04:22 PM >>>
mod_ssl mutex are totally different. global mutex are used.

Actually, the mutex is in the module_conf, so i think when apache fork

childs, this mutex is no more valid, and each child will have a value
for it.
There is also in util_ldap.c, apr_thread_mutex_create(&st->mutex,
APR_THREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT, st->pool);
This will alloc data for the mutex with apr_pcalloc, and i think it
will
be only in the current child.
I think there is a lot of work to make it work with global mutex.

After speaking many times about this problem on #apache-modules, Paul
Querna said that it would be better to port mod_auth_ldap to
mod_authn_ldap, and do module caching auth, for all authentication
method. I am sure this way is really better and i agree with him. I
know
he started this cache module, maybe it could be good to continue this
effort and on another hand, port mod_auth_ldap to 2.1.

Regards,

Matthieu