Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

I haven't had the time lately, but you (all) are welcome to dissect the mod_backhand (Apache 1.3) module and pull the resource collection and decision making framework out and put in into mod_proxy for Apache 2.

I have been watching the commits to proxy, but haven't yet had time to go into them in detail yet, so this may or may not be already possible: The balancer module should be replaceable, so if you had a java application server backend the current balancer with session stickiness would probably work for you. Then in other environments, one of the mod_backhand components could be switched in to have balancing work entirely differently.

Regards,
Graham