On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I myself would "define" the cookie header as an entity header,
> since it *is* meta data about the body, but I can also see
> it as a more traditional "response header" as well.
> But wouldn't adding new info about the response (either
> as a response header or entity header) invalidate it
> actually *being* 304 (Not Modified)?

Would it?  A cookie is not data about the body.  The nearest analogy
amongst headers explicitly discussed in rfc2616 is authentication,
and the relevnt authentication headers *are* returned with a 304.
So are Content-Location, ETag and Vary: surely headers that would
invalidate the 304-ness if they were to change between requests?

Perhaps a better approach to 304 headers would be to explicitly
exclude entity headers as enumerated in rfc2616, rather than
explicitly include non-entity headers?  That means the default
for proprietary extensions (which HTTP explicitly permits) becomes
to allow them in a 304.

--
Nick Kew