On Sep 3, 2004, at 6:06 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 16:06 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
-0.9.   This change needs review.  The coding style should stick to
         the httpd guidelines.

Yes, but I did not commit a correct style patch, because that would of
been *impossible* to review. The style of mod_info does not follow the
guidelines, and Rici's original patch was much larger (including style
fixes). My plan was to make his functional changes first, and come back
later this weekend for a style cleanup of mod_info.

okay, that's a reasonable plan -- feel free to mention that in the cvs log next time.

         Also, we don't add comments to a credit log inside the file
         (instead of just CHANGES), and whether or not God intended
         recursion is not relevant (though that part of the changes
         does look good).

What is the Policy on this? Should we remove the old ones from existing
files? Sort of like how @author tags have been removed from other ASF
projects...

We keep around things like "Originally written by ..." for entire files, but nothing else. Feel free to send a patch to the list if you are unsure about something -- stuff like that takes time to figure out the unwritten policy.

It is unfortunate that the diff gets confused about the new functions
and treats them as changes -- it makes review a pain in the butt.

Like I said, this is the minimal patch to get the functional differences
for mod_info. mod_info already did not fit the style guide, and making
Functional and Style changes in the same commit is even harder to
review.

Well, in this case the cvs diff screwed the review anyway, but I was actually talking about the style of the new code. Feel free to fix that later, but I figured I should mention it just in case you hadn't seen the guidelines yet.

Style is important because it makes it easier to review changes
like that one.  I actually prefer to commit the style fix first
and then the change, since things like the usage of sprintf are
easier to see under our normal style.  This part just makes me
uncomfortable, like walking down a dark alley at night:

+ char buf[32];
+ if (thisfn == NULL) thisfn = "*UNKNOWN*";
+ if (prevfn == NULL || 0 != strcmp(prevfn, thisfn)) {
+ thisfn = ap_escape_html(r->pool, thisfn);
+ ap_set_module_config(r->request_config, &info_module, thisfn);
}
+ ap_rputs("<dd><tt>", r);
+ if (linenum > 0) sprintf(buf, "%d", linenum);
+ else buf[0] = '\0';
+ for (i = strlen(buf); i < 4; ++i) ap_rputs("&nbsp;", r);
+ ap_rputs(buf, r);
+ ap_rputs(":&nbsp;", r);
+ for (i = 1; i <= nest; ++i) ap_rputs("&nbsp;&nbsp;", r);

....Roy