One small correction:

When I remove the global mutex stuff I no longer have the case where both the worker and parent processes crash, so that's another improvement on Windows. Unfortunately, I still have the case where Apache hangs, however.

--
Jess Holle

Jess Holle wrote:

Working on a wild hunch, I backed util_ldap source down to right before the global mutex stuff went in -- as that should not be necessary with a single child process anyway, right?

This fixed the crash on shutdown -- but that's all.

I'm going to try the 2.0.50 util_ldap sources with everything else from 2.0.51 as well. Else I might have to go back to 2.0.50 plus security fixes as you suggest.

And that's still not even trying the worker mpm on Solaris -- which at least used to have worse behavior than Windows in this area.

--
Jess Holle

Jeff Trawick wrote:

one possibility is to apply the security patches you need to 2.0.50

see http://apache.towardex.com/httpd/patches/apply_to_2.0.50/

the descriptions of the vulnerabilities at http://httpd.apache.org/
indicate which components are affected; note that CAN-2004-0786
applies to all configurations; I have seen a suggestion that it
affects IPv6 setups only, but that is not the case