--On Monday, September 20, 2004 12:12 PM +0000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

jorton      2004/09/20 05:12:01

  Modified:    .        configure.in
  Log:
  * configure.in: Ensure that $CC and $CPP are correctly passed through
  to the pcre configure script if config caching is disabled (the
  autoconf 2.5x default).

FWIW, this commit breaks the build when a cache file is used.

configuring package in srclib/pcre now
configure: loading cache .../config.cache
configure: error: `CC' was not set in the previous run
configure: error: `CPP' was not set in the previous run
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm .../config.cache' and start over
configure failed for srclib/pcre

% autoconf -V | head -1
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57

So, can we find a better solution? I think $cache_file points to the cache file, but by default it is set to /dev/null - other parts of autoconf seem to use test -r, so perhaps something like:

if test ! -r "$cache_file"; then
 export CC; export CPP
fi

What do you think? -- justin