>Therefore I think there are certainly valid reasons to split up the
conf
>file, and from a usability perspective, it may be a bit more
confusing
>upon an initial install, but the benefits down the road were immense
for
>me. Mind you, being in an organization where 12 people of varying
>degree of expertise have access to the conf file and can restart the
web
>server in not common. Any downtime is not tolerated and has to be
followed
>up with a post mortem.

I am in total agreement in fact my guess would be that most
organizations will eventually split up the httpd.conf file to fit
whatever needs they have.  But I would imagine that no two organizations
split up the .conf file in the same way.  So splitting it up and
installing it in the way that the ASF likes it, just seems more
confusing than helpful.  But like Joshua said, "If you can suggest a
better compromise solution, I am very interested",  I don't have a
better suggestion yet so I will have to think about it some more.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com