I don't see any problem using it, actually I am doing it. I am not talking about proxying between http and https.
Mostly its used for mirroring (both frontend and backend use https only) no redirections on backend though :)

ProxyPass /foo/bar https:/mydomain/foobar/
ProxyPassReverse https:/mydomain/foobar/ /foo/bar

I'll be more then glad to discuss it with you.

Regards
Roman