Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

During ApacheCon, a number of us had talked about holding more frequent
face-to-face meetings (or summits or whatever).  Fred is willing to find
a place for us at Apple with space and 'net access.  Fred's suggested
around the week of February 7th, 2005.  That would work for me as well.

I agree with the sentiment but this list is httpd specific - is this *really* the right place to debate having a hackathon?

As Paul said, I meant only for this hackathon to be focused on httpd.

If for example, we had an ASF-wide hackathon not held during ApacheCon,
it'll just increase the 'distraction' on those that participate in
multiple groups.

Well, the plans that were discussed at the Con were for that very type of event, NOT a project specific event along the lines you're discussing.

During ApacheCon, I was frustrated that I kept getting pulled off to do
infra@ or prc@ stuff instead of being able to focus solely on httpd stuff.
 (Sander and Greg kept getting pulled out for board stuff as well.)

That's understandable.

So, I'm very, very strongly in favor of having an httpd-only hackathon. Keep it small and focused to minimize distractions. -- justin

Then may I'd suggest you not use the term "hackathon" :-) Organising an httpd developer get together is an excellent idea, but the "hackathon" is slowly turning into a brand and a series of events with all the baggage that goes with them...

I'm hoping to arrange a hackathon in London sometime around the end of Feb/start of Mar 2005 (with hopefully another later in the year somewhere else in the UK). As it's a hackathon it'll be open to all and won't just be for one project or another.

I realise people will think I'm splitting hairs, but as we move forwards I think these distinctions will become more and more important.

Also I believe that there will be definately be a 2 day hackthon prior to ApacheCon europe.

david