On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Why is it hardcoded to be 8000?  It would seem like you could easily be
> unlucky and just miss the cutoff and end up with a 6000 byte heap bucket
> followed by a 3000 byte transient bucket, for example, as a result of 3
> 3000 byte ap_rwrites.  For that particular case it might be quite
> beneficial to increase APR_BUCKET_BUFF_SIZE to 9000 which would suggest
> that it might be something that should be configurable.

It was at some point I think :-) But at 8k it happens to fit on some
intelish architectures in a common page of 8k (8192 bytes).

I would not mind to see if much more configurable run-time -and- auto
detecting compile time; we've got great improvements on some arch's with
16k pages -and- by fiddling with it so that it also happens to fit in a
nice DMA multiple of the ethernetcard.

Dw.