I was recently considering a similar patch for mod_proxy along the lines
of spool_reqbody_cl() method but it would go one step further: spawning
off a thread to asynchronously read the request into a temp file (or
files) while the initial thread would continue to stream the io_bufsize
chunks down the filter chain. This would 'untie' the original client
and the proxy server in cases where they ran at different speeds (more
a problem for *large* proxy files where one side or the other could be
tied up waiting for the slower side for long periods of time... and
poor Apache caught in the middle).

I hadn't gotten too far along with my patch but with this, it's about
90% of the way done. :)

Ron

--
Ronald Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>