HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:37:18 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/4.3.9 mod_ssl/2.8.19 OpenSSL/0.9.7a

GET /index.php HTTP/1.0
Host: sourceforge.net:443
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:37:20 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/4.3.9 mod_ssl/2.8.19 OpenSSL/0.9.7a

--- Example 2 (http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/summaries.htm) ---

GET /news/summaries.htm HTTP/1.0
Host: www.sciencedaily.com:80
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:39:58 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2
mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.10 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22
OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Location: http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/summaries.htm
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Found</H1>
The document has moved <A
HREF="http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/summaries.htm";>here</A>.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.sciencedaily.com Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

-----------------

On the one hand, this might be retawq-specific because I didn't see it
with any other browser. On the other hand, I saw it only on Apache httpd
servers and think that the HTTP specification explicitly forbids a
redirection to the original URI; quote from RFC2616, 14.30: "The
Location response-header field is used to redirect the recipient to a
location *other* than the Request-URI..."; so maybe the httpd should
make sure that the new URI is different from the original one and
generate an error otherwise.

A quick search for "redirect" in the CHANGES file of the current httpd
2.0.53 doesn't indicate that this problem might have been fixed for more
recent versions than those in the examples. The most related changes I
could find were in 2.0.32 and 2.0.28, but the descriptions are about
different problems.

So there are two questions: Can/will you solve the problem inside httpd
somehow? And how could I change the request header to avoid the problem
with existing httpd versions? I tried already several changes, but none
of them made it work.

Thanks in advance,
Arne
--