Hi. Thanks for this. I've been tied up with a couple of things, so please pardon the delay.

As far as this goes, Erik is correct, to a point!-) Just for tightness, I want to make this as clear as mud!-)

To my read, and this meshes with others, SAML is open. RSA
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/ipr.php
have four patents that seem to overlap with parts of SAML, from:

"...RSA believed that these four patents could be relevant to practicing certain operational modes of the OASIS Security Assertion Markup Language ("SAML") specifications...".

Liberty Alliance took the SAML spec and implemented it with a profile that extended it, called the Browser/POST profile (a form post encoded in SAML). It is this profile that RSA seem to be claiming

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200205/ msg00046.html

rather than the SAML spec which is open:

http://www.opensaml.org/license.html

It is most unfortunate that RSA are taking this stance, but SAML and another synch method would not be covered by this patent, in my limited understanding of the world.

Internet2, for the record, do hold an RSA license which covers all users of the app.