On Mar 29, 2005, at 1:36 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
to remove his -1.  Every time I have tried to remove his stated
arguments against going beta (I lost count at 4 different rationales
against beta), OtherBill suddenly presents more arguments as to why
httpd can't enter beta.

Justin, your answer was, with several specific problems to solve, to shove a tarball down our throats. Screw that. Good way to ensure my -1 your every attempt.

Bill, why don't you just fix whatever it is that you think of as broken rather than send negative votes? It can't possibly take as long as this to patch a bug, so maybe there is no bug to be patched, or the patch requires too much effort to consider, or you are simply too busy arguing about it to supply a fix? Pick one and solve it -- nobody here is going to stop you from fixing a bug in APR.

If you think this is a showstopper, then I have no problem removing
win32 from the list of supported platforms for Apache httpd -- in my
opinion, that community of users is too lazy to support their own
platform and we (as a project) cannot continue to rely on one person
to do all of the necessary work to keep it up to date.  I see no
reason to treat Win32 as any more significant than Irix, at least not
until we have a group of dedicated developers who care enough about
that platform to keep up with its never-ending baggage of broken
system libraries and compilers.

It terms of technical issues, APR has no business shipping an
implementation of iconv and I don't care if whatever is in that
directory can't compile -- if it isn't supported, then delete iconv
from APR and let people install it separately.

Meanwhile, please end the paranoid crap you keep shoveling
about Justin doing this or Justin doing that.  He is following
the guidelines and trying to make progress while at the same
time trying to make sense of your cryptic problem reports and
not step on any toes.  At some point we have to stop trying to
reach consensus on every platform and just make progress on
those platforms with bodies to support them.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>