Joe Orton wrote:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 03:02:50PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
Prior to either patch we totally mishandled such requests.  So the
only question which remains is; which behavior do we prefer?
As the RFC states this is not acceptable, my gut says reject ANY
request with both C-L and T-E of non-identity.

I don't see any reason to reject anything, 2616 dictates precisely how to handle requests which are malformed in this way. I do think the check against "identity" is actually redundant, though; not least because the 2616 errata remove all references to the word.

I think correct behaviour is to just follow the letter of Section 4.4, point 3, as below:

                                If a message is received with both a
    Transfer-Encoding header field and a Content-Length header field,
    the latter MUST be ignored.

(and it's also going to be better to check for T-E before C-L since 99.99% of requests received are not going to have a T-E header so it'll fall through slightly quicker)

+1 to the posted patch.

-Paul