Paul A Houle wrote:

This weekend we had the kind of experience with Apache httpd which we expect from Microsoft IIS or Tomcat.

We're running a self-compiled 2.0.54 on RHEL 4 on x86_64 on a 4-way machine.

Our server got kicked around midnight to rotate logs, but around 5AM we started getting a large volume (> 1 /sec) of messages like

[Tue Jun 28 14:45:53 2005] [notice] child pid 28182 exit signal Segmentation fault (11) [Tue Jun 28 14:45:53 2005] [notice] child pid 28183 exit signal Segmentation fault (11) [Tue Jun 28 14:45:53 2005] [notice] child pid 28184 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

This server isn't very heavily loaded, it's lucky if it's getting 10000 hits/day at this point. The site still uses CGI extensively: some CGIs worked just fine, but other CGIs failed with a 0 length document, I think nothing in the log.

   Kicking the server resolved the problem,  at least for now.

It has ExtendedStatus on and my hunches are: (i) the problem is x86_64 specific (haven't seen this on a heavily loaded x86 machine) and (ii) the underlying problem is in server global state.

One obvious step is to set up monitoring of stderr (as has been discussed) to page me and maybe auto-kick the server if this happens again -- but I'd like to see a real fix.

Setup CoreDumpDirectory:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#CoreDumpDirectory

Once you get a coredump, we can actually debug it.