Paul A Houle wrote:
Jem Berkes wrote:

Hi all, I'm another student working on mod_smtpd

Been running httpd 2.x since it appeared, but am new to development.
What does mod_smtpd do? Is it a sendmail replacer or does it let people request content via smtp or what?

It's a SMTP protocol frontend for httpd. It will have the power to be a sendmail replacer or to supply content via SMTP because it will delegate most of the actual handling to other modules. All the details haven't been worked out yet, but it will make use of the Apache 2.x filters and handlers. For Instance:

[core] -> [mod_smtpd] -> [mod_insert_special_use_mail_handler]

a setup like that could be used, but let's say you want to filter out junk mail. Use an input filter!

[core] -> [mod_smtpd] -> [mod_junk_mail_filter] -> [mod_other_thing]

No rewrite! The handler can be anything and the possibilities are endless (just like in httpd). As a proof of concept we will probably write or reuse a basic delivery module.

Another upside to this is that lets say you want to implement a new proprietary feature for SMTP (like a content supplier). Your modules just has to register which extensions it supports (for a response to the ehlo command), and you don't have to worry about the details of writing a new SMTP server when most of the tedious work has already been taken care of.
-rian