Akins, Brian wrote:

From the best I can tell, subrequests do not get the benefits of keepalives
in mod_proxy in 2.1.  What is the reason for this?

The original reason was that there was a one to one relationship between a keepalive connection on the browser and a keepalive to the backend. A subrequest could not be serviced by a backend keepalive, as that backend could potentially have been in a proxied request already.

Proxy in 2.1 now has a connection pool, and my understanding is that this restriction has fallen away - subrequests should take advantage of the connection pool just like normal requests can.

Regards,
Graham