* Sander Striker wrote:

> Well honestly, the way the MMN is bumped has been very arbitrary.

If so, then by accident. I also have an eye on bumps.

> If we want to go by the rules that you describe, it needs to get
> documented.

/*
 * MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR
 * Major API changes that could cause compatibility problems for older
modules
 * such as structure size changes.  No binary compatibility is possible
across
 * a change in the major version.
 *
 * MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MINOR
 * Minor API changes that do not cause binary compatibility problems.
 * Should be reset to 0 when upgrading MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR.
 *
 * See the MODULE_MAGIC_AT_LEAST macro below for an example.
 */

Looks like it is in ap_mmn.h :-)

> One might actually wonder what the MMN is good for nowadays anyway,
> given that we have provider versioning and better defined overall
> versioning (ie. API compatibility between minor versions).

It's a compatibility promise. Or in other words the MMNs *are* the
versioning scheme for all static APIs. We should just keep it so :)

nd
--
Wer sein Wissen nicht teilen will, besitzt wahrscheinlich zu wenig davon.
  -- Unbekannt