I admin a webserver that provides mirrors for a number of open source
projects and I frequently see high loads on the server as all files in
a directory are stated on each listing. I would like to have a caching
system for this so that if the mtime of the directory is not newer
than the cached index, the cached index is displayed. This saves both
cpu time and speeds up the response to the user request.

Is this something that would be received well as a patch towards
mod_autoindex? What method would be preferred for the caching? I
thought possibly a berkeley db file would be appropriate since the
server already requires it and I didn't want to add a dependency just
for this functionality.

If there is interest in this, I would like to work on it. I wanted to
ask first to insure that I headed off in a direction that could fit in
well with other developments. I have been searching around for this
functionality and not seen it so, I apologize if it is available and I
just missed it.

thanks,
--
matt whiteley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>