On Oct 30, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

On Sunday 30 October 2005 22:40, Brian Pane wrote:

Strictly speaking, there's no guarantee that a request will be
processed by one and only one thread.  It's possible for a
threaded MPM to hand off a request from one thread to another.
For example, the version of the Event MPM in 2.3 can run the
logger hook for a request in a different thread than the handler
hook.

Really? I thought the async activity was the I/O, not the request processing.

There are two aspects of request processing that can happen
asynchronously:

- anything the modules add to the connection-level output filters
- the logger invocation

In the future, there probably should be a third:

- processing in the handler phase that involves mainly waiting for
  network I/O (e.g., mod_proxy)

That's going to break lots of things. Like, any resource that's used over
more than one hook but that can't cross threads.  When was that major
breakage discussed here?

What resources are you thinking off that can't cross threads?  I can't
find any examples of thread-local storage in the current set of core
modules.

Brian